Monday, May 28, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End review

Well, this movie starts with a rather startling opening, with a really beautiful song (written by Hans Zimmer) sung by a cast of prisoners going to be hanged. Very emotional way to start the movie, considering the one who started singing first was a young boy, standing in line to be hanged. I was nearly in tears from the beginning.

Among the multiple beautiful sets in the movie, which I'll have more about later, is Singapore, the first place we see the story start to unfold.

Now, I won't give too much away, but in Singapore, Captain Barbossa (Geoffery Rush) and his crew meets a new character, the Pirate Lord Sao Feng (played by Chow Yun-Fat), and attempt to "persuade" him to help them in their quest, to bring Jack Sparrow (played by the great Johnny Depp) back, which opens for the first action packed part of the movie, which I again shall now give a lot away on.

The movie really kicks off from there, with Barbossa's crew, setting off to the world's end, to find Jack and bring him back the the world of the living, with everyone having their own motives in bringing him back.

The journey to Davy Jones' locker is a really wonderful part of the movie, with fantastic special effects featured at every part, the trip back is even more mind blowing (in a way), and let us not forget the actual locker itself, with Jack's "multiple hallucinations" (hint hint ;P).

Anyway, after the trip back, the crew faces yet more challenges, from fellow pirates, Davy Jones (played by Bill Nighy) and his undead crew, and more and more things coming up in Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann's relationship, making for several dramatic romantic parts (I loved them), as well as more unexpected sources, and I refuse to say more.

Another wonderful set in the film is the Brethen Court, where all pirate "meetings" and "votes" happen, bringing together all the pirates from all the world, making for quite a heck of a scene as the pirates decide what maybe be their final move will be in the battle against Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) and the Flying Dutchman.

After being unable to agree on a course of action, the Brethern Court calls in the Keeper of the Pirate code, a man named Captain Teague (played by Keith Richards), who none other than Jack Sparrow's father, and he moves for an unheard of vote (I've already given away to much).

In an unexpected turn of events, the results are rather surprising, but I personally liked the outcome, but I'll let you find out what that outcome is, and the result leads to declaring war against the enemies of the pirates, and thus, the stage is set for the final battle.

The final battle starts with one of the most moving speeches I've ever seen in a film, given by none other than Elizabeth Swann, which rallies the pirates into a fighting force, and the battle begins with the crew of the Black Pearl leading the charge and going head on against the Flying Dutchman, right in the middle of an extremely dangerous storm (gotta love those effects).

I won't saw what happens during the battle, but many things go on that aren't part of a typical ending fight, and action (sword fighting, cannon fire, hand to hand combat) was wonderfully thrilling. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, unable to look away afraid of missing something. I would also like to mention that one thing that happens during the end battle put me in tears, seriously, it took a lot not to start actually crying (I'm very proud of my control right now).

The ending of the battle is quite satisfying, though sad at the same time, but leaving many things with a good ending (aside from one thing, that I really didn't like).

After all is said and done, it leaves one satisfied with the story closure for some of the characters, but I personally was upset by one of the closures.

But I sat around 'till the end of the credits, and found that the bit at the end of the credits finally left me feeling the story was closed in a good, and satisfying way (seriously, you have to see the end of the credits to see the true ending of the movie).

The end of the movie does hint that there very well could be a fourth movie, but we'll all have to see what happens, but I personally don't think the story of Captain Jack Sparrow or any of the other characters is truly finished, not by a long shot.

Special effects for this movie get a full ten from me, the effects were so real, and absolutely amazing in every part of the movie in every way, I've never seen effects like this since Lord of the Rings.

Music, also a ten. Hans Zimmer is a musical genius, and I own the soundtrack myself, having bought it the day it came out, and also having listened to it over twenty times already. The music gives the movie all the more greatness, all the more fun, and really adds to all that action, humor, and romance.

Acting, straight up ten (this'll take me a few paragraphs to write out). The acting is just as wonderful from every cast member as it has been in the last two movies, especially in the trio of Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightly.

Johnny Depp is still brilliant as Captain Jack, and maybe even more so in this film, bring even more lovable, and despicable (although the lovable side always wins out) things to the character, as well as making him a little more nutty, but still the same old Captain Jack Sparrow who we all came to love in the first movie.

Orlando Bloom peroves once again he is more than just some eye candy for the ladies, bringing even more depth to the character of William Turner, consrening his love Elizabeth, his sense of honnor and loyalty, and his willingness to make sacarfices for those he cares for most. But still, the eye candy factor is a plus.

Keira Knightly plays one hell of a strong female, displaying her own talent by making Elizabeth more and more headstrong and pirate like, while still keeping her a emotional and loving woman, who puts those she loves far above herself.

Now then, sets get a ten because of beautiful they are and how real they look, giving the story more room, more setting to happen in.

Story line, that gets an eight, sorry guys, but as a said the closure was a little poor, and the story had many things I thought could've been left out, to make room for more important things, but still pretty good. Kudos to the writers.

Overall, the movie gets a 9, maybe 9.5. Certainly worth ten bucks to see, so if haven't seen it, I say you should, especically if you really love the films. Worth waiting in line for too (even if I didn't).

Oh, and parents, please do heed the PG-13 rating! There were things in the movie I found a little scary, and it certainly has a suggestive theme at the end. I'm getting tired of going to movies and hearing kids crying during fights and death sences. I really don't think anyone under 13 should go see it, wait 'till the DVD comes out and you can hide behind the couch. It is rated PG-13 for a reason!

'Kay, that's all for me. Hope my review was helpful. Comment please!

2 comments:

A Deranged Young Person said...

Actually, I think kids that under thirteen won't have too much of a problem with it. I did see Lord of the Rings when I was eleven. Just as long as they aren't wide-eyed seven year olds, just waiting to burst at any moment.

xD I see that you liked the movie alot more then I did. Personally, I found all of the speeches and dramatic moments to be a little on the cheesy side. :( Story wasn't so hot either. I'm kinda sick of the whole trilogy ending with an epic battle scenario. They could've come up with a much more creative way to end the series.

Barbossa was pretty awesome though, I'll give it that!

Anonymous said...

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was great in every way, the best part of the other two was the special effects… the question now is, if they come out with a fourth, will it maintain the quality of the first?